The Naturalist's Notebook





Title: The Naturalist's Notebook

An Observation Guide and 5-Year Calendar-Journal for Tracking Changes in the Natural World around You
by Nathaniel T. Wheelwright, Bernd Heinrich
Storey Publishing
Storey Publishing, LLC
Outdoors & Nature
Pub Date 03 Oct 2017   
Available Editions
EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781612128894
PRICE $19.95 (USD)
FTC  Reviewed ARC for Storey Publishing and Net Galley



Description


Become a more attentive observer and deepen your appreciation for the natural world. The unique five-year calendar format of The Naturalist’s Notebook helps you create a long-term record and point of comparison for memorable events, such as the appearance of the northern lights, a big blizzard, the peak of autumn foliage, or a period of drought. Biologist Nathaniel T. Wheelwright and best-selling author Bernd Heinrich teach nature lovers of all ages what to look for outdoors no matter where you live, using Heinrich’s classic illustrations as inspiration. As you jot down one observation a day, year after year, your field notes will collect into a valuable record of your piece of the planet.



My Review

In an article I posted on my park and preserves blog awhile back, I wrote about how glad I was to see that wildlife refuges are offering workshops on Nature Journaling. Why am I talking about this, you ask?  Well, it's because today I received the ARC for The Naturalist's Notebook. Seriously, I opened the book as soon as I received it. I love my nature books to be filled with facts and statistics. Even more thrilled, was I, when I found this book offered all that with a focus of helping people have a deeper appreciation of nature through journaling.


As a child, I would pick up leaves on my hikes. But seriously. Once I started collecting them, I couldn’t stop. Thoreau said, “the more slowly trees grow at first, the sounder they are at the core, and I think the same is true of human beings.” Perhaps he was referring to the nurturing process of educating a child about planet earth. 

As a young adult, I attended International Migratory Bird Day at Magee Marsh. My first time there, I was a novice surrounded by thousands of experienced birders. They assisted me and taught me to learn by observation. They made the experience enjoyable and that day remains in the top 10 of my best wildlife memories. I still frequent wildlife refuges, sit along the trail and listen to the sounds, watch the movements, and notice the different sizes and color patterns.


My experiences listed above made this book compulsively readable. The co-authors Nathaniel T. Wheelwright   and   Bernd Heinrich of 'The Naturalist's Notebook' have a wealth of knowledge and many years of experience. They team up to creatively present a read that is exquisite and useful to anyone that enjoys nature. I highly recommend this book. It is a treasure.