Hunting Treasures II



Last week, we traveled to bookstores in Indiana to hunt for vintage treasures

In keeping with my current interest in collecting 19 century books,  this week, we perused book shelves, in Ohio. 

The Book Reviews store sells sheet music, music CDs and a  variety of books covering all topics, including vintage.













I have mentioned in previous posts how I love old hardcovered books. My first selection was Twenty Years of Hus'ling by James Perry (J. P.) Johnston, illustrations by Denslow, 1887.

I had read a review stating this was an interesting read and contained some humor of the day.

My second selection was First Steps with American and British Authors by Albert Franklin Blaisdell. It is filled with creative writing and poetry. It is a hardcover, black spined HB w/ gold lettering. Copyright 1899. 









Young Lives by Richard Le Gallienne 1899 was another selection I made after recognizing the name of the author. I'd read some of his work on Project Gutenberg and enjoyed it. He was an English author and poet and the father of American actress Eva Le Gallienne. 

My final selection was The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, with a Biographical Introduction by Henry Glassford Bell.

 This book is beautifully illustrated with over 60 photo engravings and 20 colored pictures of histrionic artists. All of this is contained in a lovely antique leather cover. 








An added plus is, this store has a lot of seating. I was able to go to the very back an still get a connection on my cell phone. This allowed me the opportunity to check in on the latest updates and discussions in my online book club. 

And, the clerk was absolutely wonderful.
 She was extremely kind and well versed in the collection they have in the store. 

I noticed she had a German accent. And, showed her an image of a book I own but have been unable to decipher. She read the page to me in German and then she explained the contents so I could understand.  I was most pleased with the experience, here.