The Love of Old Books




Now that the first half of this year has passed, I’m looking forward to reading more of what is on my shelves. And, the truth is, I buy books. And, not just recent editions. I have a growing collection of older books. And, I love THEM. My favorites are the older hardbacks. I can't put into words my enjoyment of finding older books or receiving them as giftsBut, my family says, I have the kid in the candy store...smile... when I do. 






When collectors buy older books I am told they look at the condition, binding, and the significance of any inscriptions it may contain, such as the author's signature, or notations made by the author or other family members. They also look to see if it is the first edition. Sometime this will be listed inside. But, more often than not publishers used different standards for this.






I do have some older first editions. And, I also have many books that a collector would never be interested in.  And yet, I still love...THEM. 

Why do I love them, you ask? I have read the studies on VOC's of old books. No, mine does not smell like coffee or chocolate. If I were to describe them, I would say they have an earthy almost woodsy scent. And perhaps, there is an olfactory awareness as I do enjoy hiking through the woods - so the earthy smell is pleasing to me. 

But, I also have a number of other reasons why I like old books. I like the time period, the descriptive writing, the wordiness, the fact the book was once loved by another..perhaps.... many others. I like that they contain interesting pictures, prints, and maps. 







Where was this all leading, you ask? It's leading to this morning. It stopped raining here. I had the day off and went to a few stores that sell used books. I stumbled upon a copy of 'History of Our Country'. 

And this gorgeous print to the left is located on the inside. The book is also filled with images of maps, monuments, ships, buildings, etc. 

In addition to purchasing it, I also bought, 'Devotee Darling or Difference Between Them'. I liked the writing and the illustrations. That picture, at the top of the page, is me holding it open to show the lady, Judith, at the bedside.








Now, when you look at this book, you will see it is not in great shape. The binding is pretty much shot. And,  there is damage to the marbled cover. It does show shelf and edge wear and some rubbing. But, I feel it is unique and imaginative writing and it still reads well.  And, there is an inscription inside. No...not from the author. But, a lovely note dedicating this book to Alice M. in 1903 and it is signed by her teacher, and his signature is recorded.

In truth, a lot of these older books have a wealth of history in them. I find them with old photographs, mementos, pressed flowers, and some even have listings of family history, inside.

 I suppose what it comes down to is; that I stumbled upon old books, to love, that are earthy and awesome.