Author Spotlight on Jeffrey Bardwell who writes in a Metal Versus Magic Universe





This week, I'm reading Rotten Magic by Jeffrey Bardwell. Jeffrey is an author with a small press and recently released an expanded novel-length third edition of the epic dark fantasy, Rotten Magic (The Artifice Mage Saga, Book 1)

The story is a fantasy steampunk brawl of metal vs. magic.

I hadn't gotten too far into this book and was questioning myself as to why this read reminded me of Edgar Allan Poe. Then it dawned on me that Jeffrey uses a lot of alliteration just like Poe did in "The Raven"

I'm also finding myself smiling as this read contains witticism. And, while I appreciate materials that are often mined or farmed (authentic),  I also like man-made materials like metal gears and sprockets and this book is full of them. Today, I’m sharing an interview I recently completed with Jeffrey.

Jeffrey, welcome to Lori's Book Loft and thank you so much for joining us!

 
What enticed you to write the Steampunk form?

I love gears and I especially love flywheels. Steampunk (gearpunk?) was a natural fit for me.


Why do you think readers are drawn to pre-electric?

There is a greasy, messy joy to building and fixing machines whose inner workings you can see and touch. Electronics have a mysterious black box component inherent in their design. One can understand how they work, and solder connections and switches all day long, but it's clean and sterile. We can't ever actually see those electrons flowing, can we?



I enjoy filigree, leather, and stained glass. What lavishness do you utilize in your book? 

My main character Devin is a tailor's son which allows me to comment on the weaves and fabrics of the garments he sees more than average. His tastes run toward over-complex mechanics and bright brass filigree. I enjoy the juxtaposition of natural and man-made designs.



Do you have any story- related gadgets that are unique- that no one else has?  

In this series, I have made a brass and wooden automaton powered by a piece of a mage's soul who would pass the Turing Test and be insulted by the presumption and a wicked two-man steam-powered chainsaw. My take on steam-powered armor might be unique, but the concept not so much.  



It appears you are familiar with coexisting populations does this transcend to your writing?

Oh, yes. Coexisting populations are a constant source of conflict whether regionally between urban and rural districts or among commingling citizens of different countries.




You speak to the notion of egalitarian relationships. Do you use this equality between the sexes, in your books, for survival advantage? 

What an interesting question. The main egalitarian thrust in my books comes from the army, whose stock in trade is fighting for survival. 




Are you an expert on any of the areas covered in your book(s)?  

I am an ecologist. I find the presence of dragons and their affect on the landscape and the human societies around them fascinating.




Who do you read/ who are your favorites?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of philosophy and soaking up Greek and Indian mythology. The most recent fantasy authors I've read have been in a collection of short stories by Harry Turtledove, David Drake, Eric Flint, and Foundations of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke.



What do you do when you're not writing?

Gardening, hewing firewood, and reading take up much of my free time. In what time I have left, I entertain thoughts of making a fantasy computer game set in the Metal vs. Magic Universe.



Is there anything you would like to tell readers?

If you enjoy character-driven stories where the line sometimes blurs between hero and villain, and you love gadgets and dragons, then you will probably like my novels.




AUTHOR BIO

Jeffrey Bardwell writes fantasy with elements of epic darkness, steam punk, and romance set in the Metal vs. Magic Universe. His character-driven books are guaranteed to include gritty realism, political intrigue, lurid entanglements, dry wit, and dragons in differing proportions.

He devours fantasy and science fiction novels and is most comfortable basking near a warm wood stove. When not writing, Jeffrey enjoys cooking, gardening, and shooing baby dragons from the compost bin.

The author lives on a farm and in a prior life worked as a community ecologist. He is over fond of puns and alliterations. He is also an unabashed history and mythology enthusiast and would love to hear from you.