Into Thin Air Jon Krakauer




FTC: Purchased at Borders 

Synopsis: A bank of clouds was assembling on the not-so-distant horizon, but journalist-mountaineer Jon Krakauer, standing on the summit of Mt. Everest, saw nothing that "suggested that a murderous storm was bearing down." He was wrong. The storm, which claimed five lives and left countless more--including Krakauer's--in guilt-ridden disarray, would also provide the impetus for Into Thin Air, Krakauer's epic account of the May 1996 disaster.




Review: Into Thin Air

We follow the author, Jon Krakauer, in chapters that alternate “Before” and “After" the Mt. Everest event that changed his life and the lives of many others. Because Jon has to make us realize what drove/called him to attend this expedition. He was on an assignment from Outside magazine- an assignment he'd requested. 


I was an adult in 1996 and recall the reports about the May 10-11, 1996, Mt. Everest tragedy. But, I never get to a point where I'm not interested in his story. I found it was, for me, an on-the-edge-of-my-seat, frenetic sort of read. 


What I loved most about this story is the real factor. The love of hiking and mountain climbing can be difficult in good conditions. Adding blizzard conditions, during attempts to ascend to or descend from a summit, makes it near impossible, and yet there is a sense of reverence.


I recommend this. This book was every bit as difficult to read as I thought it would be. It was no debate. This was a five-star read for me. It is not perfect. It is heartbreaking - and real. It does offer good advice on the importance of buddy systems, gear checks, and listening to your inner voice for guidance. 

Title: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster
Author: Jon Krakauer
Publisher: Anchor Books
Paperback337 pages
Published:1999 ( first published 1997)

Author Jon Krakauer


OF NOTE:  Back in the 1990s, I read an excellent book titled, "Into The Wild", also by Jon Krakauer. That book still remains at the top of my all-time favorite adventure reads.