The Book of American Negro Poetry



The Book of American Negro Poetry
James Weldon Johnson
FTC: Kindle Edition, 186 pages
Published  ( First published 1922)

I was searching for a book to fulfill a portion of my reader's challenge and stumbled upon this amazing compilation. There are over 30 poets and 177 beautifully detailed works in this collection. "The Haunted Oak" is such a fitting title and keenly distressing. "Calling the Doctor" reminds me of all the things Grandma use to mention when she would talk about curing ills. And "Miss Melerlee"- "Dat’s not yo’ name, but it ought to be!" is fun to recite. Throughout this book, the cadence is beautiful on the tongue and the words astute. I give this 5 stars. I was blessed to find this free on Amazon for Kindle.

Author James Weldon Johnson