Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hunting Treasures


This week, we traveled around and stopped at a few places so I could hunt for treasures. Yes, most people that know me well, know I love old books that are rare or out of print. And, I call these... my treasures.


One place we stopped was  'Turn the Page Books  & More ' which focuses on second-hand books and records. 

This area of their store was a quaint place for two people to sit, and look through their books. And, I liked their old advertisement "I Like Big Books'. 

Most books in their store are sorted by genre. 

There was fiction and non-fiction; westerns, romance, children’s, religious and more. 

But, my favorite section was their vintage collection of books. Most of them looked to be pre-1960's. 









'Knapsack and Rifle One of the Boys' book. I picked out first as  I appreciate that it contains personal reminiscences and narratives. I also love the red cloth cover and the gold and black gilding on this book.


Title: Knapsack and Rifle
Publisher: Continental Publishing Co, Chicago
Publication Date: 1887
Binding: Hard Cover
Illustrator: E, B. Williams







'Mosses from an Old Manse' was my second selection as it is Nathaniel Hawthorne's second story collection, first published in 1846 in two volumes. It features sketches and tales written over a twenty year time span. And since I enjoy Hawthorne's work, I am happy to have this too. 

I believe you can never have enough early American collective works. So, I got a lovely hardback copy of American Poems, Early Period. This collection covers the 1700's - mid 1800's. It is a superb collection of some of my favorite poems.



While I was shopping in the vintage section, my husband  looked throughout the records. 

My final selection at this store came from the Children's section. It was Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. This book was written by Charles Dodgson under his pen name Lewis Carroll. It is a favorite of mine. 


After we left that charming bookstore, we moved onto another town where we found a 30,000 square foot Antique Mall to shop. 


I searched throughout their 100 plus cubicles. I selected an autographed copy of 'Driftwood. Dr. A.L. Bixby studied at Rush Medical College in Chicago and wrote a column and poetry for the Nebraska State Journal. He published 'Driftwood: A Modest Collection of Random Rhymes, Written at Odd Times for Odd People', in 1895.

I also selected John Steinbeck's, 'To a God Unknown'. I had wanted a copy of this as it was said that Steinbeck found it so difficult to write... it took him five years to complete it. I gladly added it to my growing Steinbeck collection. My favorite still being 'Travels with Charley: In Search of America'.



Hunting Treasures II

No comments:

Post a Comment