Hyde Brothers, Booksellers





I haven't written much lately because I have been busy reading and what better place for a bookworm like myself to read than a place that has over 150,000 titles from 20,000 authors. 




At Hyde Brothers, Booksellers, you can trade or sell your own books and they have a large variety of categories to choose from such as; Arts, crafts, fantasy, gardening, horror, history, literature, nature, religion, science fiction, self-help, sports and more.  











Before making my way to the annex to read a book on kitchen tiling. Wandering through the stacks on the main floor where the fiction and poetry are housed, I stopped to admire these hardback covers on the Decameron which is a collection of novellas by the 14th-century Italian author Giovanni Boccaccio.







One one of my visits, I purchase the book Borrowed Water A Book of American Haiku.



This book offers a collection of over 300 poems chosen from more than 700 submissions. It is beautifully presented. The introduction tells readers a little about the founders and editors who were from Wisconsin and the usage of 3 rhymeless lines. It goes on to explain that the Japanese masters of Hakiu create their best work using observation and meditation.

In addition to the words,  the illustrations are striking, my favorites being the two hummingbirds and the forest fire remnants.


While I was admiring the section on poetry, m
y husband spent time in the basement checking out the hockey books. He climbed the steps back up to the main floor where he petted this fluffy feline.











I later returned to the store and purchased a wonderful copy of Gareth Hinds graphic novel King Lear based on the play by William Shakespeare.



Oh! I almost forgot to mention that this store is truly any book lovers dream. And one of my favorite things about Hyde Brothers, Booksellers is they house rare collections and lovely leather-bound classics. 






Hyde Brother Booksellers

1428 Wells Street
 Fort Wayne IN, 



--------------------------------------------------------------
update

I have mentioned Hyde Brother's Booksellers multiple times on this blog and posted images from my time spent there. 

It has been a place I would stop to shop, sit and read, talk with staff, and pet the cat that roamed the bookstore aisle.

I thought it fitting to mention that the 2nd owner of a bookstore Tasha N. (Myers) Bushnell, 46,  passed on Saturday, September 3, 2022, surrounded by her family.

Sam Hyde opened the business 30 years ago and ran the two floors which are reported to have  150,000 titles. Sam passed on in 2019.

Tasha Bushnell had been working there for around 25 years and was the regional manager before becoming an owner. She served as an assistant to the Indiana Poet Laureate from 2014-2016 and often shared her poetry at events.