Nourished: A Memoir of Food, Faith & Enduring Love (with Recipes) by Lia Huber


                        Lia Huber


Publisher Convergent Books
Published October 24th, 2017
ISBN
045149881X (ISBN13: 9780451498816)






Goodreads Description
A noted entrepreneur, food writer, and recipe developer serve up an evocative adventure story about her quest to find healing, meaning, and a place at the table.

Hunger comes to us in many forms, writes Lia Huber--we long to be satisfied not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. Nourished invites readers on Huber's world-roaming search to find the necessary ingredients to nurture all three. 
She begins her quest with an Anthony Bourdain moment in a Guatemalan village: she's slipping fresh vegetables into a communal pot of soup she's cooking up for chronically undernourished children. Village grannies look on disapprovingly... until the kids come back for more.
From there, Huber takes readers to the Greek island of Corfu, where she learns the joys of simple food and the power of unconditional love; to a Costa Rican jungle house (by way of an 8,000-mile road trip), where she finds hope and healing; and finally to California's wine country, where she steps into the person she was meant to be and discovers her calling to nourish others. 



My Thoughts


If I told you I enjoyed the book Nourished by Lia Huber that would be an understatement. But Nourished is, as it title defines, a book that is written with substance. 


Yes, it is a book with heart!

If you are just popping in and haven't checked out my book reviews before, I probably should inform you that I am generally an emotional reader. And, I am most definitely someone who spends more time reading than I do watching television, and it has been that way for a long...long... time. 


So, I guess it would not be surprising for you all to read that by page 10, tears welled up in my eyes, at the genuine expressions written on that page. When you read them, you will see how they point out, displays of emotion ...when vulnerable.


Moving on from there, I adore recipes! 


I find when I do turn on the television, I flip the remote to a channel where someone is cooking, or perhaps touring a locale where food is involved. I am often drawn to a place where I can envision a lovely aroma and a slightly salty taste. 

And now that you are aware I am obsessed with food, I will tell you when it comes to recipes, I linger over those that mention vegetables and herbs I grow in my own garden. So, it was wonderful to find the ingredients for ' Sauteed Zucchini with Onions and Thyme' with the realization this was something I could obtain by walking out my back door. Well, not now since it is November and we've already had a good frost. But summers here in the Midwest do often bring in a decent yield. 


From time to time I am asked questions about the books I read. And, I was wondering, have you ever been asked the question "What is your favorite chapter of the book you are reading?"  In this case, it would be a difficult choice but I must tell you with chapter 14 I was longing to relocate. A pond with sycamore trees would be nice. Even better, if the area was near a gently sloping vineyard. As I read on, I soon found my mouth watering. Notably longing for the taste of a fig. Yes, I lick my lips as I think of that honey - sweetness!

And, in truth, I've reread the first page of chapter 14 multiple times and it tickles many of my senses so perhaps it was my very favorite chapter - or very favorite page- of this book, anyway. 

 I do LOVE receiving books to review like this. Not only does the book cover for Nourished appear delicious, the characters are brilliant and the writing - tasteful.


I happily reviewed this book for Blogging for Books.