A Christmas Carol




Description


Ebenezer Scrooge has no time for the poor or the wretched. And it’s “Bah, humbug!” to anyone who wishes him a Merry Christmas. But when he turns in for the night one cold, fateful Christmas Eve, his past, present, and future converge.

Three haunting guests are about to show him that the time has come to change his miserly ways—before it’s too late.
Discover the everlasting spirit of the holiday season in Charles Dickens’s cherished story of hope, joy, empathy, and love.


My Thoughts



There are many books about the Christmas season that are well written. One of them at the top of my list is "A Christmas Carol". Mostly because I believe it speaks about generosity. But also because it ties in things that are important to me about the season, like gathering together with family and supporting children in need.


I've viewed the mid - Victorian story on film and stage, but the book is my most beloved. And, it has been translated into several languages.


This lovely copy above was purchased at our local Salvation Army Store. It's not the only copy I own But it is beautifully illustrated



I also own this copy from 1961 and a few others.

I love the wordiness of Dickens and feel that he makes us aware Christmas is a time when, "Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices". And, I expect it would have been great to live in a time to hear Dickens recite this himself. 


Yes, Ebenezer Scrooge is haunted by his business partner Jacob Marley with the ghost of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet To Come. 

In reading this, you know that Scrooge is melancholy.  But after their haunting visits, he learns of his own ignorance and wants and is a changed man. 







This story makes us all realize the lessons life teaches us in controlling the shadow of our own growing tree. As this book points out at the beginning, where our shadow may fall.