In the midst of sorting through my collection, I’ve also been making visits to one of my favorite bookstores. Mom has been reading more than I have lately, and it’s been nice to see her enjoying so many books. Knowing she’s a fan of Beverly Lewis, I’ve been picking out her novels along with other Amish fiction I thought she might enjoy. I believe I’ve brought home around 20 books for her so far this year!
There’s something special about choosing books for someone you know well. I have a pretty good idea of the kinds of stories Mom enjoys, so it’s fun to look through the shelves and find something I think she’ll like. Books are my favorite gift to receive, and they are a lovely gift to give, offering hours of enjoyment and a chance to get away from the everyday routine for a little while.
Mom has read nearly 30 books this year, which puts her ahead of me! I guess I’ll be playing catch-up this fall. Between sorting through my own collection and bringing home more books from the bookstore, I may not be making much progress in reducing my reading pile, but that’s part of the fun.
For now, I’m happy to see Mom enjoying her books, and I’ll keep looking for more stories to share with her. After all, there’s always another book waiting to be discovered, and it’s even better when you can share that enjoyment with someone you love.
I also recently entered a contest hosted by Greg Hickey and was lucky enough to win! I chose a Parabellum bookmark since I’d already read the book. It’s a nice little addition to my bookish collection and a fun reminder of the contest.
