TRANSLATE

A Murder, a Lava Tube, and a Mystery: Death of a Messenger



Death of a Messenger by Robert B. McCaw begins with Koa Kāne, a Special Forces veteran and Hawaii detective, being called to investigate a murder unlike any ordinary crime scene. A body has been discovered inside a lava tube, and from those first pages, there is an unmistakable sense that something about this death is far more complicated than it first appears.

We learn that Koa has experience inside a lava tube, having once cornered a convict there, but it was his words, “there should be more blood,” that really drew me into the story. That simple observation immediately made me wonder what had happened and what Koa would uncover.

Koa is a compelling character to follow as he works through the questions surrounding the case. There is also a darker side to his character, as he carries a secret from his past that left me somewhat unsettled. I won’t say more about that because I think it is something readers should discover for themselves, but it did make me curious about how it would shape Koa’s journey throughout the story.

McCaw’s writing is strong and detailed, giving the story a distinct sense of place. There is also something slightly morose about the writing and the setting, which seems fitting for a story that begins with death in such a dark and unusual place. 

Early on, I found myself imagining what it would be like to live permanently inside a lava tube, surrounded by darkness and having to rely on senses other than sight. The thought made me cringe. McCaw does a good job of using the setting to make you feel as though you are there with Koa, experiencing the darkness, the confined space, and the uncertainty of trying to piece together the death of the messenger.

The investigation brings together an unusual mix of characters, including an old doctor, an archaeologist, a prince, and even a robot, each adding something different to the story. I was also drawn into the scene where the technician slowly recorded the details for the forensic pathologist two hundred miles away. The mentions of petroglyphs and historic discoveries, along with the discussions of telescopes and reaching a summit, continued to pique my curiosity. There were so many details woven throughout the story that I wanted to keep reading and see where Koa's investigation would lead.

For me, the combination of strong writing, an intriguing setting, a memorable cast of characters, and a darker atmosphere made Death of a Messenger a memorable read.

What I appreciated most about this story was its atmosphere. The Hawaiian landscape, history, and culture become more than simply a backdrop; they add another layer to the mystery and make the setting feel a part of the story.

I don’t want to give too much away because I think this is a book that is better experienced than explained. There are questions from the very beginning, and I found myself wanting to follow Koa as he searched for the answers.


I received a copy of Death of a Messenger from FSB Associates.

LET'S TALK BOOKS

lorisbookloft@gmail.com