When Stillness Brings Clarity: What the River Knows by Ashya Khan




I recently finished
What the River Knows by Ashya Khan, a beautiful book that stayed with me in a quiet way.


The writing drew me in through its conversations between a seeker and a river and the questions we carry quietly within ourselves. It speaks to the importance of finding clarity by returning to our own nature and taking the time to truly listen to what is within us.


But it was the watercolor illustrations that gave me another feeling altogether. There was such softness and peace in them. As I moved through the pages, I found myself wanting to slow down, be still, and sink myself into the illustrations. They seemed to create a little space where I could breathe, feel more at ease, and simply let go.


I think that is what I appreciated most about this book. The writing gives you something to think about, while the illustrations give you permission to pause. Together, they create a feeling of stillness that can be hard to find in everyday life.


Sometimes we need that reminder—that we don't always have to be searching for an answer or trying to make sense of everything. Sometimes we simply need to be still for a while, quiet the noise, and allow ourselves to let go.



I received a copy of this lovely book from Aysha Khan. She is a technology executive, serving as Chief Information & Security Officer, and the founder of Inward to Upward, a space for those returning to themselves. For years she has sat with people in the hours when their titles are of no use to them. Much of this book was learned there.

LET'S TALK BOOKS

lorisbookloft@gmail.com