October 2017 Loft Reads and More





I've been on a staycation a portion of this month. I've enjoyed our home, spent a lot of time reading and viewing recipes, played with our dogs, watched an old Lon Chaney Jr. movie and read through some of the stories in my copy of Classic Ghost Stories, Miles Kelly. 




Earlier, this month we met up with author, Blake Sebring at a hockey game. He's working on a new release but currently has eight books out. 


Earlier this year, he released a crime mystery suspense thriller titled 'Lethal Ghost'.  Since it's Halloween, thought I would let you know this is an on the edge of your seat - hide your head under the covers- type of read.










I read the book A Well-Crafted Home this month. There are many things I enjoy about this book which grabbed me by the cover. There is just something about pillows, baskets and potted plants that lure me in. I especially like turning to page 127 and looking at the instructions for the Paternayan yarn project. That stool seat is adorable! I learn a lot from the section on the different fabric dyes. If you are not into fabrics, there are many other crafty projects, like,  painting ceramic trays and making clay candlesticks.






In addition to reading, this month, we went to an Ohio festival and heard the Jug Huffers perform. They play old-time,  bluegrass and original music. They use a variety of instruments including a fiddle, jug, washboard, mandolin, train whistle, guitar, jaw harp, saw, slide whistle and I'm sure there are a few other instruments I've forgotten now. They also do vocals. I think the only time we have seen something similar to the Jug Huffers is an old episode of 'The Andy Griffith Show'.

We also took some day trips.


 We like one-of-a-kind shops and spent time at some Indiana Amish stores



 


We stopped by  Foster Park GardensWe parked near the log cabin and after checking out the Celosia, we walked along the path to the Bridal Glen








We also spent some time at the beautiful Toledo Metroparks.

 




Currently, I'm working on a review for Polly Diamond and the Magic Book by Alice Kuipers, and Illustrated by Diana Toledano. The publication date is next year.


I tend to cook more than usual in November so my next read will be Nourished by Lia Huber. 

I've reviewed over 50 books for Net Galley since spring and quite a few books for Blogging for Books. 
 Recently, I have started reading through some of my TBR's here at home. My blog audience expanded this month.