Leah & Rhea: Spell and Author Interview with Melissa Hines Helms

Leah & Rhea: Spell:Book 1(Volume 1) 

Stephanie Parcus ( Illustrator)
Series: Leah & Rhea

Paperback: April 17, 2018 140 pages

Publisher:  Helmshines; 1 edition 
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0996989315
ISBN-13: 978-0996989312
Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.4 x 9 inches

Synopsis
Leah and Rhea, twin fairies living in the quiet hollows of a beautiful forest, never had a mentor to help them realize their magic. Left on their own after the tragic death of their parents, they’ve made a life among friends in the wilderness.
Until one day Leah and Rhea discover a terrible sleeping spell has been placed upon their friends, and they soon embark on a quest to counter the evil magic cast by the witch Matilda—a quest that could split them apart forever.
The sisters must find the courage to face foes and gather allies as they leave behind everything they know, battling creatures they never could have imagined. Will Leah and Rhea be able to find the inner strength and resourcefulness to secure the freedom of their most cherished friends?
Join them on a journey that could determine their future or spell doom for them all.

Author Spotlight 


I'm blessed to have had the opportunity to interview Melissa Hines Helms who is the author of the Leah & Rhea book series (middle-grade novels). In addition, to being an author, Melissa is a mom, wife, school psychologists, hu-mom, and co-founder of Helmshines publishing.  

Melissa can you share your process with us? Do you have any particular practices that help you write?

I don't really have a process, it is more of a flow-but I know where I want my stories to end. I began telling Leah & Rhea adventures to a 4 year old (Grace) when I was a part-time nanny and an undergraduate. Seeds of those stories are found in each of my books; however, I often get surprised by a turn the story takes, or by a character who pops up. 


What part of a story is the hardest for you to write?

What helped me the most when writing Leah & Rhea: Spell was reading it a few chapters at a time to 3rd grade classes at the three elementary schools in which I was the School Psychologist. I had to complete the book in one school year, as students would flag me down in the hallway to ask when I was coming back to read them more. 

Currently, what is helping me the most with the first draft of the sequel, Leah & Rhea: Skull Rock, is attending a local Meetup group called Sit Down, Shut Up, and Write. I need to plan ahead (my husband has to be available to stay with Clara, our 9 month old daughter), and I am forced to at least attempt to write for an hour block each time. It is amazing to be surrounded by the energy of fellow writers, chatting for the first half hour, and then silently immersing ourselves in our craft for the last hour.

During the creation of Leah &Rhea: Spell, several boys from each classroom requested a boy fairy for the story. I had not planned on a male fairy, and had no idea how to write one. So, I decided that he had been cursed and was not able to talk. Describing his gestures and facial expressions as his way of communicating helped me fashion what I believe to be a solid character. 


How do you know when a story is complete?

I am not sure that my stories are ever complete, but I have a general ending in mind before I start a book. In the story, I try to resolve the main issues while keeping a bit of mystery for the next volume in the series. Leah & Rhea: Spell went through feedback from the students, three critique groups, two illustrators, and several rounds of editing before getting published. New characters were added, some scenes (and characters) were deleted, and a new plot point was created based on constructive criticism. I am looking for critique groups to help me round out Leah & Rhea: Skull Rock.


If you had to describe your writing style, what words would you use?

"Descriptive" would probably be the best way to summarize my writing style. I have had several readers say they could "see" the scenery/action/etc. in their minds based on the details included in the narrative. I am a visual person, and I watch the scenes as I am writing them. I try my best to show my readers what is happening, rather than telling them.


Do you write every day?

Unfortunately, I do not get a chance to write every day, and I am not disciplined enough to set aside daily time to write. I usually try to block off an hour or so here and there, including the Meetup group, or when Clara is napping. I find that I need to disable my internet or I can get lost on social media or in research.


Do you get writer's block?

I got writer's block near the end of Leah & Rhea: Spell, but felt forced to push through the last 4 chapters in 2 months, as school was ending and there would be a lot of disappointed 3rd graders if I didn't finish it. I currently have writer's block regarding the major plot point in the sequel, and am working on ways to make myself accountable for finishing it. I find that if I am blocked, I need to force myself to just write something, and the flow resumes eventually.


Who's your favorite author?

I read many books in various genres, but I would have to say my all-time favorite author is Stephen King. I admire the way he has connected so many of his stories while coming up with strange new plots and characters.


Which is your favorite character you wrote?

Surprisingly, Khuno, who was never in the original stories told to Grace, is my favorite character to write. I love his silly antics, corny jokes, and big heart.


Do you use names of family and friends when you write characters?

I try to make up character names based on attributes rather than using family or friends. I can often get a "feeling" from a character (Khuno is goofy, Bunny is practical, Felda is regal and no-nonsense). Sometimes I will research ideas and combine things to make a name, as in the case of Orricus. For the names in and of the world itself, I drew from other languages describing the feelings each place holds.


What are you doing when you’re not writing?

When I am not writing, I am playing with my 9 month old daughter, doing internet research (for myself, my friends, and family), listening to a ton of audio books while doing chores, trying not to get lost on social media, and working on ways to let people know about the Leah & Rhea series.


And finally is there anything you'd like to tell readers?

I would like to thank readers for their loyalty to books, especially in this digital age of television, movies, and streaming. I love that people still like to use their own imaginations.