Limberlost State Historic Site and Ceylon Covered Bridge


A few years back, I posted my top read authors and among these was Geneva (Gene) Grace Stratton Porter. This week, we again spent time at the site of her Limberlost home nestled in Geneva Indiana. 

Gene was born in 1863 and married Charles Porter in 1886. They had a daughter, Jeannette and in 1888  they moved to Geneva, near the Limberlost Swamp. Gene designed this Queen Anne rustic log “cabin”. The home's interior is finished in Victorian and Early American Craftsman style.


Many people that read Gene's books know her as a well-known author and naturalist but she was also a great photographer and illustrator. In addition, she was one of the first women to form a movie studio and production company. She was truly gifted and she used the position she achieved to aid in the conservation of the Limberlost Swamp and other Indiana wetlands.




I can’t actually remember when I first came to love Gene Stratton Porter books but I know I began receiving them over 30 years ago. 





Gene went on to write 6 of her 12 novels and 5 of her 7 nature books, here. She was gifted at writing evocative prose and offered a depiction of the triumphs and struggles of family, nature, and old-fashioned traditionsHer books inspire you to treasure family and I love that she fills them with details of birds, flowers, insects, and trees.  I also love that she was so popular that women would trudge 3 miles to have her look at a specimen for them. 

Here's a sampling from her book on Moths of the Limberlost. "For a confession must be made that a perforated box is a passport to my good graces anyway." She goes on to explain, "That particular shoebox had brought me an Actius Lunda, newly emerged, and as yet unable to fly. I held down my finger and it climbed on, and was lifted to the light."

Of the collection of books, I truly can't tell you which book is my favorite, as I loved all of them. My favorite title just because I love the sound of it is, " At the Foot of the Rainbow" and the title  'Freckles' would be runner-up.   


The family lived here in Geneva IN until relocating to Rome City, IN in 1931.



You do not have to travel far from Gene's home to view the 135-foot-long Ceylon Covered Bridge. Originally known as Baker Bridge, and rebuilt in 2011. Today, it is the last remaining covered bridge over the Wabash River. At one time there were 23 bridges.





















The Ceylon Covered Bridge was added to the  National List of Historic Places in 2007 and is located at the Limberlost County Park along CR 950 S. 




In the early 1800s, the Limberlost swamp stretched 13,000 miles. It was reported that a man hunting called Limber Jim got lost in the swamp and people yelled Limber's Lost. Thus, the swamp received its name Limberlost.




You can visit Gene Stratton Porter Historic Site here