Nathaniel Hawthorne and Autumn Leaves



The month of November began with a chill in the air and crisp autumn leaves softly floating to lay at our feet. This time of year reminds me of the American Notebooks.  

"I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house.”~ Nathaniel Hawthorne [Notebook, Oct. 10, 1842]”


Our go-to destination this time of year is typically Mallard LakeIt has an observation deck on the west shore that provides views of the ducks which frequent the lake.
It also has a unique, interactive nature center and there are over fifty miles of trails that the dogs and I enjoy hiking.

I’ve often thought if I didn’t live in the midwest I would want to move where my family lives in the New England states but much of it reminds me of here.


Both locations are a mix of old school and progressive and I love that both have villages where you can step back in time and enjoy the natural settings.


Around harvest time, I can drive down the road surrounded by cattle in the fields and go on wagon rides and through corn mazes and pick pumpkins.

The weather did surprise us with a snowfall this past weekend, reminding us we'll soon see more of the white stuff. So, I expect I'll soon be spending more time inside reading.

Today audience is from the United States, United Kingdom, Belgium, Germany, Ukraine, France, Russia, India, Canada, and Unknown Region.