Three Movies Adapted from Books



When I read, I often wonder if I will ever see an adaptation of the book progress to screen. Recently, I've watched three, and in each, I appreciated the dialog as well as the visual effects.

I began with Saving Mr. Banks. I appreciated that P.L. Travers ( Helen Goff)  dream was of being a journalist and poet and that she never considered her books of teaching stories to be geared towards children. 

I  do admit I love the soundtrack the Sherman Brother's wrote and composed based on  Traver's book series Mary Poppins and Let's Go Fly a Kite, brings back fond childhood memories. My dad made amazing and colorful kites utilizing Christmas wrap and balsa wood and our family participated in  Kite Flying Festivals.

This movie also depicted historical factors like losing people at a young age to consumption. Helen was only seven years old when her dad, Travers Goff, died. 

What I brought away from the movie is we should be mindful of not letting past disappointments, taint the present, or mar our hopes for the future.

Emma (1996 version) by Jane Austen. I appreciate the concept of misguided romance in a country village and the garden scenes in this movie are absolutely gorgeous. And the movie depicts the importance of relationships and choosing for oneself.


I moved onto watch Christopher Robin. This 2018 film was inspired by A, A Milne and E.H Shepard's Winnie -the-Pooh books.

I loved that the movie moves back and forth through the Hundred Acre Wood. The placement of the lines we all came to love - mix with marvelous visual effects.  Madeline's character's mannerisms mimicked those of a young Christopher Robin. And, we learn more about the true identity of Heffalumps and Woozles.

I admit I love most anything with Pooh and this movie was no exception. 

Top 10 Audience this week is the United States, France, Russia, Ukraine, South Korea, Thailand, Germany, Canada, Iraq, and an Unknown Region.