Author Spotlight Faye Hall with Envy & Favor


























Faye Hall
spent her early years listening to stories about the families – including her own – who settled townships in and around her hometown in North Queensland, Australia. The local townspeople, including her own parents, told her stories of corruption and slavery, along with family secrets and forbidden love.


Desperate to remember what she’d been told, along with her already growing love of writing, Faye began to write about the history of her local area. Never could she have imagined the history of her small home town in Australia would become a growing list of published books.

Faye’s passionate stories combine controversial subjects and provocative encounters as her characters struggle to survive the lifestyle in early rural townships throughout Australia. She explores slavery and abortion, drug addiction and murder, as well as forbidden love and passionate affairs of the heart.

When she’s not writing, Faye enjoys sharing a bottle of wine with her husband in their ever-growing garden and encouraging the varied interests of their combined family of nine children.


Faye kindly offered her time for a quick interview. 

Faye, this is the debut of your latest novel Envy & Favor you've written 14 Australian Historical romance novels, does writing continue to energize you? And do you ever find it exhausting?

I'm always exhausted after I finish writing a book, but then by the next day I'm ready and pretty excited to start another project.  I've always loved writing so that helps.  Also helps that as I write, it's like watching a movie happening in my head and it doesn't go away until I've written it down.


Does each novel stand on its own or is it all about the connections? 

I try to have small connections throughout most of my books, and definitely in Sins of the Virtuous series, but I wanted to make sure each book could be read on its own also.


How important is your description of Queensland Australia to your historical novels?

It's very important to me because it's where I grew up.  I want to be able to show my readers the beauty of the area I call home.  It really is a very unique part of the world and I try my best to describe that in my books.


In your latest novel, Envy & Favor – Sins of the Virtuous, due to be released in July, what did you edit out?” 

Not a lot really.  I did have to shorten a part at the beginning though due to word count.  There's a police raid on a dodgy gambling hall where some very shady things are found.  I just had to make it not as detailed as I'd liked, but I think the story still flowed good the way it ended up.


What other authors are you friends with, and what guidance have they shared that is useful to all? 

 Due to where I live, most of my author contacts are via the net.  There are a few local authors - mainly children authors - that I've got to know and they've been quite useful in helping me deal with the ups and downs of the industry.


How do you balance writing with raising a family?  

It's pot luck mostly.  My kids are all at an age where they can entertain themselves at times, and they're all at school now too, so that gives me some time to focus just on writing.  But there are weeks when I won't be able to write for days, then other's where I can write every day.


What are you reading now? 

 I try not to read romances when I'm writing as I fear I might accidentally put someone else's idea in one of my books.  Last thing I read though was my son's comics that he writes - they're about thoughts that go through a teenage boys mind.  I'm quite proud of him as they're really quite good.


Is there anything you'd like to tell readers?  

Just huge thanks for all your support, and keep a lookout in the coming months for the last book in the Sins of the Virtuous Series.


Now onto Envy & Favor which is to be released this month. 


Envy and Favor by Faye Hall
Sins of the Virtuous, Book 6
Publisher: Beachwalk Press
Genre(s): Historical Romance
Digital ISBN: 9781949300444

What happens when a resentful man is determined to win the favor of the one you love?

For years Atol Livia has desired only one thing—to move north, far from the corruption of his father's business, and start a life with the woman he loves. That is if Anna Jenel can look past his poverty and will agree to marry him. When Anna informs him that she gave her heart to him long ago, never once caring about any wealth he might have, he's elated. But their plans are delayed when Atol's father is found murdered. Once Atol has finally settled his obligations and is able to leave town, he goes to collect Anna but discovers that she is gone.

Anna doesn't understand why her father whisked her away in the middle of the night to travel north. When they arrive, she finds a fully operational cattle station, and an associate of her father's willing to do anything to gain possession of it—even marry her.

When Atol arrives up north, all he can think of is being reunited with Anna. But he soon discovers that the man who murdered his father now has his eyes set on Anna and will do whatever is necessary in order to have her as his wife. This man is determined to gain possession of Anna's cattle station and the orange sapphires hidden there.

Will Atol and Anna be able to protect each other from a murderer, or will they fall victim to the envy of this man and lose each other forever?

Content Warning: contains sex, strong language, and some violence


My Review

Envy & Favor is book six in the Sins of the Virtuous series by Faye Hall.

Flirtatious beginnings of intimate encounters are often an important introduction in a romance novel and this has an authentic feel of what one would expect to happen to those living in Rockhampton and small rural Queensland communities in the 18th century. 

Hall does a great job of giving readers an intriguing glimpse into the story by beginning with a man, Atol Livia, leaning against a fig tree looking out over a lake. 

Soon you are introduced to a  well to do young lady, Anna Jenel, that is smitten by Atol, who has an interest in flowers and works for his father. And you'll learn Anna's father has arranged for her marriage to Dermont  Faman who's old enough to be her father and will make a profitable business transaction. 


In closing, I was drawn to all the characters. The internal and external conflict lured me in and I wanted to learn more about their story which took me on a journey north from a gambling hall to a cattle station.

You can learn about Faye Hall here https://fayehall.com.au/blog

To provide you with an update. Faye contacted me and in February of 2020,  a new book, Impassioned Deceit, is being released, and here's the cover.