Practical Gardening Peter McHoy







Practical Gardening
Peter McHoy
Publisher: Smithmark Pub (March 1, 1994)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0831768649
ISBN-13: 978-0831768645
Product Dimensions: 9.2 x 1.2 x 12 inches
Shipping Weight: 3.8 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

This comprehensive manual provides practical information on flower gardens, fruit and vegetable gardens, and construction and maintenance of gardens, among other topics.



My Review

As one might imagine, I'm spending time outside working in our kitchen garden. In fact, this weekend, my brother, helped me install some lath to the raised beds so I could create a raised screen that offers more room for our cabbages to grow.  Screening is a must as we have a large population of Cabbage Whites here. 

I thought this would be a good time to mention this older gardening book by Peter McHoy that I enjoy leafing through The book Practical Gardening is true to its title. It is well written and easy to follow. The images are clear and provide a good depiction of the action that is occurring.

My favorite sections are those that list the different types of cuttings, special techniques for pollinating zucchini, and harvesting and storing herbs. 


Peter McHoy is a highly respected gardening author and journalist and has written many books on gardening and houseplants, including Low-Maintenance Gardening, The Garden Planner, Step-by-Step Pruning, The Small Garden Book and The Complete Houseplant Book.