Author Spotlight Hannah Fielding

 


Hannah, when did you become devoted to writing full time? And why did you choose to write romance novels?

As a very young child, I loved stories. My governess used to tell me the most amazing fairy tales, and when I was seven we came to the agreement that for each story she told me I would tell her one of mine. That is how it all started.

My earliest memories of writing are penning romantic stories, which I would circulate among my classmates. This made me quite popular with the girls at my convent school, but far less so with the nuns!

I wrote my first 400-page book, in French, when I was twenty-eight, which I later translated myself into English. 

My husband gave me the confidence to send out my first book for publication once my children had left home and I was writing full time and storing the manuscripts in a drawer. 




How hard is it to start a novel where the characters already know each other such as your latest book Song of the Nile?

Well, you skip the ‘meet cute’ in such a novel, but I actually really enjoy developing a romance between two characters who have some background, a foundation on which to build. Of course, that background can be shaky, as in Song of the Nile, but there is a familiarity there, even a feeling of homecoming and, if trust can develop, a sense of security.


In Song of the Nile, what did you edit out?

Sadly, there was not room for all of the fascinating history, mythology and culture of Egypt. On my blog, though, I share insights, especially into Ancient Egypt, with articles on everything from Hatshepsut, the female king, to the Pharos (Lighthouse) of Alexandria, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World (see https://hannahfielding.net/blog/). 


Do you have any particular practices that help you write?

I research my books thoroughly by traveling to the place in which the plot is set and speaking to local people to get a complete feel of the mentality and culture. No aspect of a country is neglected: history, geography, architecture, music, cuisine, language, myths, customs and traditions, everything is thoroughly investigated. After having been through that first stage, I then complement it with information found on the internet. The research only ends once I feel there is enough material there for me to begin writing.

Then comes the writing itself. I wake up very early and do my chores first thing. After a cup of passion-fruit tea, I sit at my desk and work through the day, with an hour for lunch and errands. I take some time in the afternoon for a long walk when I’m dreaming up a plot. 

In my home in Ireland, I write in a wood-panelled room, surrounded by books – we call it the library. In France, I write overlooking the most fabulous view of the Mediterranean from a large picture window in my bedroom, or if it is not too hot, outside in our gazebo. I really can’t complain!


Is there anything you'd like readers to know? 

I have published seven books to date besides The Song of the Nile: Burning Embers, set in Kenya; The Echoes of Love, set in Venice and Tuscany, Italy; the AndalucĂ­an Nights trilogy (Indiscretion, Masquerade and Legacy), set in Spain; Aphrodite’s Tears, set on the Greek islands; and Concerto, set on Lake Como, Italy. My books have won a lot of awards; Aphrodite’s Tears alone won seven.

Of course I am already hard at work on my next novel!


Website: https://hannahfielding.net/  

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorHannahFielding/ 

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hannahfieldingauthor/