Frankenstein Impression



Last month, I posted that I had purchased another copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I was recently asked about the book so I have listed some of my impressions here.

Mary Shelley (then Mary Godwin) wrote Frankenstein in 1816 after being creeped out by a dream. Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus tells the story of Victor Frankenstein, a young scientist who creates a horrendous monster during a scientific experiment.

My estimate is I saw the movie 50 years after it was first released in 1931. I saw the movie prior to reading the book and was initially, confused as to who was Frankenstein. I thought the actor Boris Karloff was when in fact he was Dr. Frankenstein's creation.

"A new species would bless me as its creator and source; many happy and excellent natures would owe they're being to me. I might in process of time (although I now found it impossible) renew life where death had apparently devoted the body to corruption."

Shelley used 3 narrators' perspectives in Frankenstein. Most people will tell you that it's created this way so one might understand the complexities of time and the structure of the novel. 

I believe Mary may have used 3 perspectives because she was in competition with Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, and physician John Polidori to see who could create the best horror story. And Mary likely imagined each of them narrating different scenes as a way to boost her own creativity.



Regardless, Mary really rocked it at 18 - not only in giving us an alarming horror story but in making us think in terms of questioning our perspective and recognizing the flaws of humanity. 

Victor Frankenstein repeatedly left no room for doubt that tragic events would happen by saying, “Destiny was too potent, and her immutable laws had decreed my utter and terrible destruction.” 

Using references to destiny, and omens of terrible destruction, lead us all to grab onto our Eyeore brain and we begin to believe that Frankenstein is destined for a hapless fate. 

Frankenstein might have us all believing that each species of an organism does not and cannot change. As if no alternative were ever possible.  However, he could have thought,  "What is my ultimate goal? How can I change so I am encouraged to experience life's possibilities?" 

Yes! Frankenstein could have manned up and changed his perspective and chosen a different path! 

Instead, he gives his creation life which wreaks havoc. 

As the memory of past misfortunes pressed upon me, I began to reflect upon their cause—the monster whom I had created, the miserable daemon whom I had sent abroad into the world.

One parallel between Victor and the monster is that they become recluses/ social outcasts. And Frankenstein eventually recognizes his world is decaying and him along with it. 

Like the archangel who aspired to omnipotence, I am chained in an eternal hell.

In closing, Mary lost a child in 1815 amongst controversy of that time involving living bodies versus inorganic ( dead) bodies. The following year she wrote this gothic horror story (science fiction) which was published in 3 parts in 1818.

It's important to note that, Frankenstein may have recalled his mother Caroline's words on her deathbed “Alas! I regret that I am taken from you; and, happy and beloved as I have been, is it not hard to quit you all? But these are not thoughts befitting me; I will endeavor to resign myself cheerfully to death, and will indulge a hope of meeting you in another world.” 

In Frankenstein's final words, Yet why do I say this? I have myself been blasted in these hopes, yet another may succeed  

Frankenstein realizes someone will succeed at what he has failed. Perhaps Frankenstein, himself, will be awakened in another world.