The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson



I kindly received a gift certificate for a book store so I put it to good use. One of my purchases was The collected Poems of Emily Dickinson

Emily is considered one of the most important figures in American poetry and this is not the only copy of her poetry that I own.

This volume is split into four parts - Life, Love, Nature, and Time & Eternity. I tend to gravitate to her nature poetry. 

What I like about her poetry is she was a recluse who wrote far ahead of her time.   You recognize her appreciation for her garden and surroundings and much of her poetry is an expression of analyzing physical and natural science. 

Her poetry is unconventional and she writes with the vision of a painter abroad though she spent the majority of her time in Amherst, Massachusetts. She uses a triad of essentials like abrupt line breaks and extended metaphors and readers obtain different angles due to different perspectives. She had an interest in life and death and wrote about it with honesty, and lack of pretension.