The Quilter's Daughter and Book Clubs


In keeping with the theme of encouraging and motivating people to read, book clubs are an excellent way to forge a love for reading!  

I have been a member of the Goodreads book club for many years and frequently read through their topics and occasionally contribute.  

What I enjoy about book clubs is that you do not have to share the same opinion to get along. I might read a book and be disappointed and someone else read the same book and be impressed and I can openly discuss my thoughts.

This month, my bookclubs off-the-shelf read is to go with a book that has "Daughter" in the title. Basically, I am to list the book, and author, then post comments, if I choose to, after reading it.

Now, the easiest thing for me to do first would have been to look through my own TBRs. But I seldom do things the easy way. Instead, my quest took me to a charity shop with my husband in tow. 

Guess what? 

They had at least a couple of hundred books and we searched through them all and not a single copy had the word Daughter in the title. I did, however, come home with copies of The Great Gatsby, Johnathan Livingston Seagull, Pride and Prejudice, and The Scarlet Letter. I used the old adage with my husband "One can never have too many classics!" He responded, "You're so predictable!" I accepted his response with a smile on my face. 

     



Once home,  I scoured my laptop looking for Daughter in the title and my husband went up to the loft to look around at my books. Neither of us found a thing that I hadn't already read.

Luckily, mom lives nearby so I called her and sure enough, she found one I hadn't read with the word daughter. So, I'll be reading The Quilter's Daughter by Wanda E Brunstetter. Wanda is a novelist in the Amish romance genre, with more than 10 million books sold and her books have been on the New York Times Best Seller list.

When I'm not reading or looking over my Goodreads book club I am likely checking out a few book clubs on Youtube.


Update: My review of The Quilters Daughter is here.

You can read about my view of the Amish here.