Roni Rosenthal is in the Author Spotlight






















Aharona (Roni)  Rosenthal is the Director of Judaic Studies at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. I recently had an opportunity to learn more about her and her new book “Where the Lilacs Bloom Once Again”. She explains the book is about giving back power to those who have lost their rights. Now, onto the interview.


Roni, What is one of your earliest memories involving reading?


Books have always accompanied my life from a young age. I remember my mother sitting next to my bed and reading my sister and I a bedtime story. When I finally learned to read, I longed to read all the books that were in the house. I never thought I would be able to touch someone else's feelings through my written words. It wasn't until I turned 30 that I found the courage to start writing. And I haven't stopped since.



You were born in Haifa.  What does this mean to you?


I always say that "Haifa is the most beautiful city in the world". And I really truly believe in that. Haifa is not only an architecturally stunning city, but also in terms of coexistence. The unique, diverse, and rich culture that can be found in Haifa accompanies me everywhere I go and influences the way I write.



In what ways have your family ties influenced your identity?


The family I grew up in was loving, warm and close-knit. My father was an honest man who believed in the values ​​of modesty, humility, and honesty. I admired those qualities in my father. Family was a top value for Dad and from a young age he made sure to visit the "elders" in the family and learn from their wisdom. In the last book I published "Where the Lilacs Bloom Once Again" I continue the family research that my father started but did not get to see the fruits of. In this book I present the family stories on which I grew up and was educated. Honest and kind people who had to deal with an oppressive and murderous regime. My great-grandmother Rosa, who lost her brother and his family in the Iasi massacre, my grandmother Aurica (Golda) who had to flee and leave behind everything that was familiar to her to start a new life in the Land of Israel, and my grandmother's cousin, Friddie, an innocent young girl who fell in love with he wrong man, was arrested, tortured, accused of espionage which she did not commit, and spent 13 years in prison and in labor camp.

But what characterizes my family the most is, that despite all the suffering they went through, they continued to believe in compassion, in justice, in the kindness of mankind.




Please tell us a little about your book, 
Where the Lilacs Bloom Once Again.

In December 2009 my father passed away. I went home for the funeral and found an old family photo album, a handwritten family tree, and a note that read "Write their stories, tell the world what really happened to them."

And so, I did.

The book is a culmination of 12 years of family research. I was able to find a lot of supporting and personal documents, but there are still many questions that remain open.

The book is based on two women, role models in my life: My great-grandmother Rosa Isopovichi and her niece (my grandmother’s cousin) Friddie Stoleru.


Friddie married the love of her life at the age of 20. The dream soon turned into a nightmare when her husband disappeared, and she was arrested and charged with espionage. She was sent to Poarta Albă labor camp where she later met Mircea, a political prisoner, who joined the anti-communist resistance and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Mircea was the “adopted” brother of King Mihai.


Rosa was a widower, who raised her two children by herself. When she moved to Bucharest to be closer to her family, she realized that the aroma coming from her kitchen brought in not only some stray cats and nosy neighbors, but also potential customers. She opened the first catering business in Bucharest.


I wrote this book to tell their stories. I wrote this book to give the silenced stories a voice. We must keep telling, otherwise, the truth may be lost.

I chose to write this book and uncover my family story, to let future generations learn from our ancestors’ pain.



What are you reading now?


With intention and foreknowledge, I decided years ago not to choose one favorite author and not to focus on one literary genre. I enjoy diversity. (The same goes for my music taste). I have many authors whose writing I enjoy. Currently, next to my bed there are 3 books: a book of poetry (“Names and Rivers” by Shuri Kido); A novel (“Sunflower Sisters” by Martha Hall Kelly), and the memoir of Paul Paul Newman.


I prefer to keep all options open and read a wide variety of different writers and literary works.



Is there anything you'd like to tell blog viewers?

I wrote the book: “Where the Lilacs Bloom Once Again” to share my family's memories. It is important that we learn from history. It is important that we hear the silenced voices. It is important to know, it is important to learn and most importantly - to remember. Thank you.