January 2024 reading round up




This month my husband surprised me with a trip to a newly opened bookstore and I was thrilled to see they had a  small collection of vintage and antique books. 


Many of you know I am a fan of poetry and find it pleasurable to read about different eras and learn what was relevant to society then. After careful consideration, I selected Alice and Phoebe Cary's poems - Household Edition - Houghton Mifflin. 


These literary sisters were 19th-century American poets who began writing while in their teens and were largely self-educated. 


Alice (1820-1871) was the more popular poet. Her first poem published was The Child of Sorrow. It was praised by Edgar Allan Poe. 


This time of year conjures up thoughts of winter and I rather enjoyed Phoebe's(1824-1871) moral lesson about greed titled A Legend of the Northland which begins 

Away, away in the Northland,
Where the hours of the day are few,
And the nights are so long in winter
That they cannot sleep them through


Both sisters also wrote for Susan B. Anthony's newspaper, The Revolution.


Annually, I revisit Little Women and recently I watched the 1994 film adaptation based on Louisa May Alcott's 1868–69 two-volume novelMy stand-out memory of this read was the challenges faced and the words of comfort conveyed.


My January reviews were































The top  10 viewership this month was from the United States, Singapore, China, Belgium, Canada, France, Philippines, Vietnam, Germany, and India