Bookish Habits

 #1 Book Storage – How do you store and organize your books?

 Many of my books are in bookcases ( similar to those below) in the loft and on the 1st floor and some are stored in old trunks. I do tend to keep my vintage and antique books in bookcases where I can easily get to them. For ebooks and audiobooks, I place them in a folder on my laptop. 





 #2: Tracking – How do you keep track of what you have read and what books you own?


I use my blog for the books I've recently read and reviewed and have many TBRs.



#3 Borrow – Do you lend your books out?





Many of you know that Mom is my biggest influence when it comes to reading. She

was the one who took time away from her busy day to take me to the library.


At that time, I did not realize I would one day work at a public library where I would actually get paid to discuss books. Nor was I aware that I would freelance for a publisher where I'd earn money marketing books. 


Well, those jobs have come and gone, but Mom is still close by, and we continue to share our love for Mary Higgins Clark and I  continue to review books. Go here for my MHC page


#4 Buying – How do you buy or acquire your books?

I buy and read whatever interests me and publishers, agents, and authors often send me books and ebooks.



When family members and co-workers request a gift list from me, books are always at the top of my list followed by coffee beans, teas, and taffy.



I enjoy purchasing from bookstores and like to browse bookshelves and while exploring, I often read. 



#5 Comments – How do you respond to the “How do you read so much” comment or similar comments?



I dedicate time to reading usually a minimum of 10 hours a week I read books. I also read a lot of other material such as news articles, magazines, and the like. You can learn more about devotion to reading here.


 #6  Next Book – How do you pick your next read?


I go with whatever floats my boat - what speaks to me- at the momentThis afternoon, I was hanging out at the bookshop, perusing the bookshelves. I came upon a copy of Fire From Heaven. After reading a few pages of the first chapter, I decided to purchase it.

 



#7  Travel – How do you pick what book(s) you bring on vacation with you?

When traveling, I generally have a tablet and a laptop with me. 



I frequently read ebooks or carry along a book on poetry or nature





 

#8  Annotate – Do you write, highlight, or mark up your books in any way?


No! Oddly, I do not write or highlight in the books I own. I say oddly as I do enjoy purchasing previously owned books and many have been marked up. If you want to find information for scribbling in the scroll you can go here.

I keep a journal handy to jot in. If I am planning a review, I often write/type while reading.



#9 New or Backlist – Which do you prefer, new releases or backlist books?


I usually go with whatever synopsis catches my attention and tend to read a lot of backlist books and also receive advanced reader copies and new releases to read and review. I would say my very favorite reads have more to do with the style of writing and how they fit into my life at that time. 


#10 Sequels – Do you read books as they are released or wait for an entire series to be published before reading 1 book?




I generally read as they are being released. What I never do is limit myself to just a few authors because I might be missing out on a book that fits me perfectly at that time.


#11 Do you use bookmarks?

Yes, I use bookmarks - but not these that were a handcrafted gift.




Thank you for the emails! Thought it would be easier to respond to all here about my Bookish Habits. I hope you find new or old books to love.