Adding to Book Collections

In keeping with a Christmas tradition, I've been searching bookstores for a special antique book to add to my collection. 

If you recall last year I selected this copy of  The Song of Hiawatha. And while I haven't yet found my special book, during my search yesterday, I did find a couple of cloth-covered books to add to other collections.



I have frequented  Gene Stratton Porter's homes in Indiana many times and have now added a book by Bertrand F. Richards titled Gene Stratton- Porter A Literary Examination to the collection. 


As reviewers, we have the opportunity to pick apart a person's work. I'd rather like to think we are honest in our analysis and are pointing out what we perceive.

This morning, I've been reading Richards's literary examination and am enjoying the analysis of passages. I appreciate that he shows the significance of the Limberlost and the fact that Stratton-Porter's family often played a key part in her writing. I also appreciate that he exams her reclusive side.

Title: Gene Stratton-Porter A Literary Examination
Author: Bertrand F. Richards
Hardcover: 165 pages
Publisher: Americana Books (November 1, 1993)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0917902181
ISBN-13: 978-0917902185


Synopsis
Dr. Richards provides an in-depth look as Mrs. Porter's nature books, poetry, magazine contributions, and novels and assesses her place in the American world of letters. He endeavors to explain the vast appeal of her work, against the background of her times, to an admiring public. As the seminal work of scholarly literary criticism about Mrs. Porter, this volume deserves a prominent place in any Stratton-Porter collection. Clothbound, Smythe-sewn, portrait, index.




To my poetry collection, I've added a book, titled, D.H. Lawrence Poems Selected For Young People, edited and introduced by William Cole with Drawing by Ellen Raskin. 

D.H Lawrence is best known for his books Lady Chatterley's Lover, Sons and Lovers, Women in Love, and The Rainbow but he also wrote almost 800 poems. 

I've re-read D.H. Lawrence's poems and find I still appreciate his direct and free-flowing writing and his use of symbolism. 

In this collection, among my favorites, are The Mosquito and Bare Fig-Trees. The black and white drawings by Raskin are enjoyable too.