December 2019 Loft Reads




December 2019 was a month where I tried to catch up on reading after having taken a break. 

I started December off posting an interview I did with Carew PapritzThough fictional,  Papritz's book The Legacy Letters has won acclaim as a life lessons book for all generations, gaining the distinction of being the only book in publishing history to win awards in both fiction and non-fiction categories.  

Around me, almost every largely populated area has an establishment where you can sit down to a barbecue and American Barbecue Sauces by Greg Mrvich teaches about American Barbecue Sauces, Marinades, Rubs and more. 


Brent Parrott and  Bryan Renfro, brought back memories of my youth, playing touch football with my husband and brother with their book The Reilly Thanksgiving Invitational Story 


Many people play sports to release tension some people fight back oppression in The Line Between by Tosca Lee.

I don't watch television much, but when I do, I gravitate to black and white psychological thrillers so it should not be surprising that I spent a portion of the month watching The Twilight Zone prior to reading 

Last Flight Out by Robert Eringer.

Environmental challenges are difficult to escape in       Give the Bard a Tetanus Shot by V.C. McCabe 

If you want to read about honor then head to the creative thriller Kidnapped on Safari by Peter Riva .


Uday Mukerji teaches us that even if we are facing illness we still have much work we can do in Dead Man Dreaming



Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff deals with life conflicts and explores religious questions.  Reality many times exceeds our imagination and for many people this is where faith steps in.

Additionally, I added to my poetry collection,  the book, titled, D.H. Lawrence Poems Selected For Young People, edited and introduced by William Cole with Drawing by Ellen Raskin. 

D.H Lawrence is best known for his books Lady Chatterley's Lover, Sons and Lovers, Women in Love, and The Rainbow but he also wrote almost 800 poems. I've re-read D.H. Lawrence's poems and find I still appreciate his direct and free-flowing writing and his use of symbolism.  In this collection, among my favorites, are The Mosquito and Bare Fig-Trees. The black and white drawings by Raskin are enjoyable too.

I have frequented  Gene Stratton Porter's homes in Indiana many times and have now added a book by Bertrand F. Richards titled Gene Stratton- Porter A Literary Examination to the collection. 

I've been reading Richards's literary examination and am enjoying the analysis of passages. I appreciate that he shows the significance of the Limberlost and the fact that Stratton-Porter's family often played a key part in her writing. I also appreciate that he examins her reclusive side.


-
Some of my stats are in for Year 2019 and I exceeded 14000 pages read

My AVERAGE LENGTH read exceeded 250  pages

SHORTEST BOOK at 20 pages was  children book Wonder Walk by Ilham Alam and Illustrated by Kerry Bell

LONGEST BOOK 576 pages was a vintage book I picked up to read again titled The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

MOST POPULAR Book  was a re-read of The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

My audience stats are fluctuating. In the Top 10 this month was the

United States, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, Russia, France, Portugal, Mexico, Spain, Hong Kong